Teachers and students at universities, teachers of all school types as well as person and institutions that represent geography education in research and teaching in university-related settings can become members in the HGD.
Our members enjoy many benefits and advantages:
- “Zeitschrift für Geographiedidaktik | Journal of Geography Education“ (ZGD): By now our open access journal has developed into the most important journal for geography education research in the German-speaking area. Papers can be submitted in English or German. Papers usually have abstracts in both languages. https://zgd-journal.de
- Reduced conference fees: Members can participate in the German Congress for Geography (“Geographer’s Day”), the HGD symposia as well as other HGD events for a substantially reduced conference fee. Conference language is predominantly German.
- HGD newsletter: About once a week members receive a newsletter (in German) with new releases, conferences, job opportunities, research programs, association activities as well as information about current developments in educational politics.
- Geography newsletter: For a surcharge of 30 €/year members can also subscribe to the geography newsletter (in German) of the Association of Geographers at German Universities (VGDH).
- HGD junior scientist group: Supporting junior scientists in geography education is very close to our hearts. For and with our junior scientist group we regularly organize HGD junior scientist meetings and research-oriented workshops. Event language is usually German.
The membership fee currently is:
- 70 €/year for university employees with permanent contracts
- 40 €/year for university employees with fixed-term contracts as well as teachers and pensioners
- 25 €/year for students, trainee teachers and jobless persons
Becoming a member: You can find an interactive form to join here (pdf)